The Pope County Sheriff’s Office would like to make residents aware of another new scam that has been. The scammer tells the victim that they are calling from Entergy and that their auto draft for their bill is unable to be processed. The scammers are attempting to get the victims to make their payment over the phone with either a credit card or a checking account and attempt to obtain the information. The sheriff’s office advise to use caution when giving out your information.
According to a release by Entergy, Scammers are relentless in their efforts to target unsuspecting utility customers, and Entergy reminds you to be cautious.
One scheme occurs when the con artist calls and tells you that your electric bill payment is past due, and that your service will be disconnected if payment isn’t made. Although the scam can differ, frequently the scammer directs you to transfer funds electronically, sometimes through “MoneyPak,” “Green Dot” or another third-party card or transfer system. Scammers also have asked customers to use Federal Reserve Bank routing numbers and their own Social Security numbers to pay their bills.
How can you protect yourself from falling victim to these scams?
- While you may pay your Entergy bill by phone or credit card, it is ONLY through BillMatrix, a third-party vendor Entergy uses for this purpose.
- You should never give your personal information to strangers. If a call sounds suspicious, hang up and call
- 1-800-ENTERGY(1-800-368-3749) to speak with an Entergy customer service representative.
- Also, you can manage your account and review account alert options to stay better informed by downloading the free Entergy smartphone appor visiting comto register for myAccount.
- You should only use authorized methods and legitimate banking information to pay your bill. We offer several convenient ways:
If you believe you’re a victim of this scam, you should notify the proper authorities, such as the local police or the state attorney general’s office. If you believe your Entergy account has been affected, call 1-800-ENTERGY(1‑800‑368‑3749) to speak with a customer service representative.