Traffic on Interstate 40 was at a standstill for about two hours Wednesday evening April 7, after two motor vehicle collisions occurred near the 96 mile marker.

At 4:27 p.m., Pope County 911 operators dispatched the Arkansas State Police, Atkins Police Department, Pope County EMS 132 and Atkins ERT’s to respond to a motor vehicle collision that had occurred at the 96 mile marker eastbound on Interstate 40. The dispatcher advised responders that the collision involved multiple vehicles and injuries had been sustained.

Upon the arrival of law enforcement and medical personnel they found eastbound traffic stopped and several vehicles remained in the roadway. At least three of the vehicles had sustained heavy damage in the crash and the roadway was blocked. EMS personnel made contact with several individuals who had been involved in the crash and determined that there were four injured patients.

As Pope County EMS 132 began assisting and loading their patients, a second collision occurred on the westbound side of the interstate.

At that time, Pope County EMS 131 was dispatched to the scene to assist in the incidents. Once all patients were loaded into the EMS units, they were transported from the scene to Saint Mary’s Regional Medical Center to receive further evaluation and treatment for the injuries they had sustained in the collisions.

Both collisions were investigated by the Arkansas State Police and the Atkins Police Department and Pope County Sheriff’s Office assisted with traffic control.

Officers began detouring eastbound traffic on Interstate 40 at the 94 mile marker (Atkins exit) and directed travelers to use State Highway 64.

As officers began to complete their investigation of both collisions, they radioed dispatch requesting a third ambulance, Pope County EMS 134, to respond to the area of the collision in order to perform a patient evaluation on another person who was involved in the eastbound crash. Once Pope County EMS 134 arrived on scene, the patient was evaluated and transported to Saint Mary’s Regional Medical Center for further treatment.

Just before 6:30 p.m. Wednesday evening, the vehicles involved in both the westbound crash and eastbound crash were towed from the scenes. Just before 6:30 p.m. Wednesday evening, westbound traffic and eastbound traffic was allowed to resume through the area on Interstate 40.

At this time, the identities of those involved in the crash and the injuries they sustained are unknown.

At the time of the eastbound crash, it was raining and the roadway was wet. It is unknown if the rain played a factor in the collision. When the westbound crash occurred, the eastbound collision was being worked. It was determined that the weather did not play a role in the cause of the westbound crash.

If additional information is released concerning this story, River Valley Now will update readers.

The attached video was captured from the scene as both collisions were worked.