Just before 2 p.m. Saturday afternoon, February 9, the Hector Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire located near the 6300 block of Old Highway 27.  In order to provided mutual aid in the fire fight, the Witt Springs Fire Department was also dispatched to respond.

As Hector fire units checked en route to the fire, firefighters were advised that the occupants of the home were evacuating the residence.

Upon the arrival of Hector Fire Chief Jake Jones, he gave dispatch a size up of the scene stating heavy smoke and fire were exiting the residence and then advised he had command of the call.

Upon receiving the scene size up, dispatch also requested the response of the Appleton Fire Department to also provide mutual aid in the fight.

After making contact with the occupants of the home and making sure everyone was out of the residence, firefighters initiated an exterior defensive attack on the flames that were quickly consuming the home. Due to the aggressiveness of the fire and its progress, firefighters worked to protect other property located next to the house including a vehicle and a camper trailer.

After battling the blaze for quite some time, the fire was determined to be under control and later, command advised dispatch that the fire had been extinguished.

At approximately 3:30 p.m., Chief Jones terminated his command and all fire companies were released from the scene. At that time, all responding fire units returned to their stations available for service.

Although the home was a total loss, firefighters were able to protect the camper trailer and a vehicle from being destroyed in the blaze. Luckily, no one was injured in the incident.

Fire officials on scene determined that the cause of the fire was due to a propane cook stove in the residence.

Following the incident, fire officials contacted the American Red Cross to provide assistance to the family living in the home.

The attached photos and following video were taken during the firefight.